Fernando Tatis Jr. you will at least be using your unplanned free time productively.
The San Diego Padres star spoke to the media on Tuesday for the first time since he was suspended for 80 games after testing positive for Clostebol, a performance-enhancing substance banned by the MLB. Tatis expressed contrition and guilt for what he described as “mistakes”.
Among the people he specifically apologized to were Fathers owner Peter Seidler and president of baseball operations AJ Preller.
“I’d like to start this day just by saying I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’ve let down so many people, I’ve lost so much people’s love. I failed the front office of the San Diego Padres, Peter Seidler, AJ Preller and I failed the fans of this city. I failed my country, I failed my family, my parents. I’m really sorry for my mistakes. I’ve seen my dreams turn into my worst nightmares in a few days, a few months. There’s no one to blame but myself. I made a mistake.”
Tatis also apologized to his teammates at a players-only meeting, with starting pitcher Joe Musgrove saying there was “some tough love” in the room.
The suspension will keep Tatis out for the rest of the regular season, this year’s postseason and the first few weeks of the 2023 season. Few, if any, PED suspensions have been as shocking and costly for the player’s team as the 23-year-old Tatis. , who is under contract through 2034 on the $340 million extension signed ahead of the 2021 season.
Tatis supposedly told the media that he took Clostebol as part of a drug to treat a skin infection from June and continued to take it until he tested positive in late July. He apparently didn’t administer the medication by the Padres’ team doctors, which players normally do with any drug to avoid this exact situation.
This explanation is in line with what Tatis’ camp (basically her parents) has been saying to explain how the drug got into her body, although some experts are skeptical.
Fernando Tatis Jr. will undergo long-awaited shoulder surgery
There was at least one bright side to the Fathers, like Tatis said he plans to undergo shoulder surgery to repair your labrum while you wait to return to the field. He reportedly said he hopes to be fully healthy when the suspension ends.
That’s great news for the Padres, the condition of their shortstop’s shoulder was one of the biggest problems before, you know, PED suspension and several motorcycle accidents.
Tatis’ shoulder problems date back to his days as a minor league player, but they jumped front and center last year when Tatis had his shoulder out. five times between spring training and the regular season, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. Despite all this, Tatis chose not to undergo surgery to correct the problem in the offseason.
Now, with a little more time for rehab thanks to the suspension, Tatis is having surgery, likely to the relief of the Padres. Otherwise, there was a pretty clear doomsday scenario for the team, as Tatis could have returned from his suspension in 2023 and suffered a serious shoulder injury, knocking him out for two of the three seasons San Diego had Juan Soto under contract. .